Insurance claim bug/feature request

For users or potential users.
afeuer

Insurance claim bug/feature request

Post by afeuer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:44 am

If an insurance claim hasn't been paid or if there is a problem and we need to send more information we will print or resend the claim electronicly. If we do either of those then the date sent will reset to today. This makes it useless to track unpaid claims. I have found a few claims that are a couple months old but the outstanding claims report doesn't pick them up since we resent the claim. Until there is a better way to keep track of resubmissions I feel that the original sent date should stay the same and be trackable. I think this is a bug, but you may think it is a feature request. I'm wondering what other offices do to keep track of their outstanding insurance claims.

Thanks,
Adam

atd

Re: Insurance claim bug/feature request

Post by atd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 pm

I actually like the way this is handled, please don't change it! I think of the Outstanding Insurance Claims report as a follow-up tool. If I've already followed up on the claim and resent it, then I don't want to have it keep coming up on my follow-up report (which it won't for another 30 days). If you change the # of days to 0 then all outstanding claims will show up if you want to see them.

In our old system we had a field for "Billing Notes" where we would indicate when the claim was last followed up on, what action was taken. Although this printed on the report and helped us know which ones still needed follow-up, those claims still cluttered up the report.
I agree that having a commlog or something else that would automatically be added each time a claim was resent would be useful - I think that is already a feature request.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:15 am

Of course the best solution would be to automatically track each resent date. One complication is that there can be more than one resent date, so a simple date field might not be adequate. But a simple date field would be better than the current situation.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:43 pm

I agree, Preserving the original claim date while keeping track of the most recent resend date is the best and simplist scenario.
Not that many claims get resubmitted multiple times. Probably not worth the extra effort to track every resend.