Netbooks with Open Dental

For users or potential users.
Nate

Netbooks with Open Dental

Post by Nate » Fri May 29, 2009 4:38 pm

I am wondering if the current Netbooks have enough power to run open dental for back up purposes? For example can OD be loaded on one that comes with Windows XP and made as a server that you restore a backup to? I think it would be great option for when the office is closed or Dr. is traveling. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

enamelrod

Re: Netbooks with Open Dental

Post by enamelrod » Sat May 30, 2009 4:31 pm

yes it works, a lil slow but the major is that the screen is to small. OD windows are all screwed up on it. The OD windows do not resize properly to fit the smaller screen. A better solution is get a netbook with a cellphone wireless card. (att and verizon and sprint sells the netbooks with card built in) and remote into your office system. i am using it now for the staff member that takes emergency calls(love astersk). tht way changes are made on the system and are up to date.

jmiller

Post by jmiller » Sun May 31, 2009 1:54 am

I have just installed OD on my Asus netbook. I am running debian as the host OS and I am running WinXP Pro in Sun Virtualbox. OD client is running on the virtual machine and the SQL server is on the host OS. Everything works great except the windows are awkward as noted above. The new Sony netbooks have a screen resolution of 1,600 X 768 rather than the more usual 1,024 X 600, so that could solve the problem. Difference is that the Sony is $900 rather than $350, and the reviews I have read have been lukewarm as well.

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 am

What about the dell 10.1" HD Widescreen Display (1366x768). It runs about $400-$450 but I dont know if that resolution would make it look ok still.

jmiller

Post by jmiller » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 am

Haven't seen that model, but I would think that 768 is the crucial dimension. So it should be fine.