Lab Cases / Sedation Records ??

For users or potential users.
asanders

Lab Cases / Sedation Records ??

Post by asanders » Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Just a couple more . . .

When we track lab cases, is it possible to input a due date into the system? For instance, we are expecting three cases back on any given date. A box, or something, would pop up so that my staff would know to look for those cases. Once they're received, they can be marked as received. If OD tells us a case is due, and we don't have it, then they can get to inquiring about it.

Also, didn't I read somewhere that OD can record the data from a sedation monitor? We use a Welch-Allyn for conscious sedation and it would be fantastic if OD could record the HR, BP, etc. as part of the patient's record. Is that functional?

-Sanders

Debbie OD Support

Re: Lab Cases / Sedation Records ??

Post by Debbie OD Support » Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 am

I am not sure about the sedation part but for the lab cases.

If you are in the Appointment Module on the right side there is a lab case button. If you push that you can put in a date range. This will pull up all appointments in that date range that have lab cases and it will show you there status plus the lab contact info so if you have not received a lab case yet you can call the lab. This only works if you attach your lab cases to the appointment that has the procedure waiting for the lab case.

At this time we do not have anything that will pop up automaticlly for your receptionist to get a warning that some lab cases are not received. But if you look to the right of the lab cases button in the Appointment Module it will tell you if there are "All received" or "1 NOT RECEIVED" on the day the receptionist has selected on the calendar.
Debbie
Open Dental Support
971-239-1150
service@opendent.com

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Fri May 29, 2009 5:30 am

For more on the recording of vitals during sedations read this post here:

http://70.90.133.65/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1883

That functionality is available in all versions 6.6 (currently in beta) and above. To read about it in depth, go here:

http://www.open-dent.com/manual/anesthesia.html

Your monitor may or may not export HL7 data to be input into OD. Let me know what model of Welch-Allyn you have, and I will check.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

asanders

Post by asanders » Fri May 29, 2009 3:41 pm

I have a Welch Allyn Atlas. Thanks so much for your help.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:35 am

It doesn't look like the Welcha Allyn Atlas is capable of importing vital signs into OD. It does have an RS232 serial port, but this is designed for lower level functions such a nurse call button or connecting to a laptop to perform diagnostics on the unit.

The good news is that Welch Allyn does have some other models that do have this functionality, namely the Propak, XLI and VSM300. I am going to be working with some of our local reps to obtain testable models of the common monitors out there. After that we'll put together a hardware compatibility list for what works with the vital sign import feature.
Last edited by wjstarck on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

asanders

Post by asanders » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:55 am

Well, that figures. Thanks for checking for me. I tried searching the internet, but as with a lot of things, I know just enough to be really dangerous.

I would absolutely kill to have that capability however.

msd

Post by msd » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:59 pm

will there be anyway for my circulator to input vital signs manually in the future?

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Well, the easiest way is to buy a strip recorder and scan the printed strip into OD. Not very tidy though, and I hate that. And, your particular monitor may not even have that functionality.

I can certainly look into how that might be done programmatically, however, right now all my attention is focused on getting a plugin released that will return anesthesia functionality to OD. Auto-importing of data certainly works (we use it daily in our office), but it's a little klunky, and the under the hood code needs to be revised, so it's not quite ready for general release, and only works for HL7 versions up to 2.4.

In the meantime, you can always put in a feature request...
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

atd

Post by atd » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 pm

One note about the lab cases indicator in the appointment module that says "All Received" or "2 NOT RECEIVED".
Now that we have multiple clinics on one database I've noticed that the number of lab cases it shows outstanding is for ALL appointments that day - not just the appointments in the appointment view you're on. We have different views for each clinic, so it would be great it it just showed the outstanding lab cases for that view. What was once a very useful feature is not very useful for us anymore.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:48 am

That shouldn't be too hard to implement if you get it into the feature request system.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

atd

Post by atd » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:56 am

OK great, I added it to the request system.