Supply Inventory

For users or potential users.
savvy

Supply Inventory

Post by savvy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 am

Ok, I'm finally getting around to setting this up.
If I understand correctly,
1. I create a Suppliers List DONE
2. I create Supply Catagories DONE
3. I add supplies to the Supplies Needed List IN PROCESS

Now here is where I'm confused......
4. How do I go from the Needed List to the Ordered List?
5. How can I make an inventory of supplies already on hand?
6. How many should be on hand?

Can somebody, please, post a step by step description to create this using the following:

Suppliers: WayCheap Dental and GSBH Inc (Getting Screwed By Henry)
Supplies: Floss, Brush
Current Inventory: 4 Floss, 3 Brushes
Need to order: 12 Floss, 9 Brushes

Many Thanks!
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Supply Inventory

Post by jordansparks » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm

I don't think you should be "in process" for adding supplies to the supplies needed list. That list is a very informal and temporary list, much like the clipboard that we used to have hanging for whenever someone noticed that we were low on something. The big grid at the bottom of the supply inventory window has two tabs. You should be adding supplies under the Main Supply List tab which contains all of your commonly ordered supplies. That's what should be "in process". Items get pulled from that list onto a specific order.

I don't know if there is a place to track current inventory. If you watch the person who places the orders, you will notice that they do not take a current inventory before they decide what needs to be ordered. They instead go through each item on the list and compare the amount in stock with the preferred stock quantity. So OD follows this routine. We're not going to ask the assistant to enter the current stock level anywhere. We're intstead going to ask them to enter how much they want to order. Much faster.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

savvy

Post by savvy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks....

Can somebody still list the step by step using the scenario I posted.
Thanks

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

roybloom

Post by roybloom » Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 pm

I don't know if there is a place to track current inventory. If you watch the person who places the orders, you will notice that they do not take a current inventory before they decide what needs to be ordered. They instead go through each item on the list and compare the amount in stock with the preferred stock quantity. So OD follows this routine. We're not going to ask the assistant to enter the current stock level anywhere. We're intstead going to ask them to enter how much they want to order. Much faster.[/quote]

Does this apply to anesthetics ? I looked at this to track drugs for the DEA. If it does not track what is used against what you have I do not think it will work. Still, I guess you could use the inventory as a start and then compare it to drugs dispensed as Rx.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 02, 2009 5:01 am

Right. Since it does not track current inventory, it is not useful for DEA tracking.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

savvy

Post by savvy » Sat May 02, 2009 6:10 am

Then why is it called "Supply Inventory?

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun May 03, 2009 7:56 am

It is related to inventory even if it does not directly track it. It will likely track inventory levels in the future. When the feature was originally planned, inventory tracking was part of the plan. Hence, the name.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

opensource

Post by opensource » Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 am

Some Folks might not like the response here..but we struggled with same capability that Savvy is looking for and now we have a spreadsheet which tracks the current inventory level..in addition to other information already offered in open-dental...
* Storage Location
* Current Use Location - daily use
* Unit of Measure
* Re-Order Level
* Usage between re-order cycles
* Reorder Quantity
* Current in Stock
* Re-order Frequency
* Last Ordered on
* Next Order Due Date

....We still continue to use the feature of recording the order in Open-Dental..since it helps us track the Items ordered and keeping a track of Expense incurred. Even if Dr. Jordan does not built the above fields/columns into Open-Dental in the near future, It would be great if there was a feature to attach a document to the order (Typically the invoice when received) until Dr. Jordan is looking to build a full-fledged purchasing system within open-dental.

Cheers,

OpenSource

roybloom

Post by roybloom » Thu May 07, 2009 3:31 pm

A bridge to Quickbooks Pro would take care of all of that.

opensource

Post by opensource » Fri May 08, 2009 4:47 pm

That is a very good idea roybloom. We can track orders placed and payments too.

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Sat May 09, 2009 10:25 am

jordan and QB is never going to happen thats how we ended up with that accouting module

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon May 11, 2009 9:37 am

It will happen. Just lower priority unless we get a lot of votes.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

clivejbennett

Post by clivejbennett » Thu May 14, 2009 5:43 pm

We have a business process we had to implement outside OD for stock and inventory management. This system would work well if overlayed and added to what you have done.
It is a large multi-surgery proctice with 19 individuals. The object of the exercise is to allow me (the principal) to have control over what is ordered how much, what price and when and get all the staff onside, plugged in and managing it without me doing any real work (the most important bit). The Business Process works like this.

We start with 2 lists which setup the system.
1. Approved stock List and impressed. This is a detailed list of consumable items including:
storageLocation,itemcode, detailedDescription, photo, stockLevel, numberReq, usualSupplier, usualPrice
2. Approved Equipment and spares inventory. This is a detail list of equipment items including:
location, equipmentItem,equipmentDescription, modelNumber,serialNumber, partFor, stockLevel, numberReq, supplier, purchaseDate, cost, serviceAgent, serviceAgentDetails
It should be noted that spare parts and fuses for equipment items are considered equipment items as well by using the "partFor" field.

The Process
The staff do weekly "stock level checks" on a location by location basis with these lists. The staff simply look at the stockLevel number on the lists and the number of items on the shelf and if they are not the same they simply type in the numberReq column how many are required to have the number of items to equal the approved stockLevel
The end result you end up with an "automated order list" - that is a list of items and spares where the stocklevel is down and therefore need ordering.

The PURCHASING QUOTE - in the land of OZ we have very dodgy dental supply companies so we need a quote on items before we order otherwise we get towelled with a wire brush. I suspect it is the same world wide.
From our automated ordering list we can generate different purchasing quotes which may include all or some of the items on the "automated ordering list". these we can email or fax to some or all of the dental companies.
They send back their best price
We input their price in the supplierPrices table. This is then used to generate a PURCHASE ORDER which is the actual order that we send them.
The items are are checked off and stocklevel is updated as the stufff arrives
This saves me 50K per year and more because we never over order or order the wrong thing

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri May 15, 2009 6:11 am

Notice that your strategy does not have a column for current inventory level either. The improvements that are needed in that area of the program are more related to being able to work with multiple suppliers at the same time rather than with one supplier at a time.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

clivejbennett

Post by clivejbennett » Mon May 18, 2009 2:32 pm

If the stockLevel = number in required stock = the number in stock everyone is happy.
There only needs to be notation when the levels are wrong -1 or +1 with respect to the approved stockLevel.

It would be great for OD to generate a Exportable, Web and printed version of Approved Stock List, Approved Equipment and Spares inventory, Automated Ordering List , PURCHASING QUOTE and PURCHASE ORDER

clivejbennett

Post by clivejbennett » Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Actually reading that later I see it wasn't clear what I wrote.

You set the (approved) number of an item you want to keep in stock (ie on the shelf) in stockLevel
When you go to the shelf and the number of items is less than the stockLevel then you put the number you need to order to have the right number in stock in the numberReq column.
If you have the right number in stock then do nothing. If you have MORE than you want in stock note it as -1.
Hope that clarifies
C

drawab

Post by drawab » Thu May 28, 2009 12:58 am

Clive

Impressive procedure, pending when OD revamps the Supply Inventory can I ask what software/tool are you using to enable your staff members to keep track of the stocks - I was clobbering around figuring out some Open Source solution but ended up finding Inflow Inventory [http://www.inflowinventory.com/] priced at > $299 onwards - I was tempted to go a little berserk with OpenBravo - an ERP solution - [http://www.openbravo.com] but i must admit an ERP solution is well beyond our simple needs

Hence my question are you using QuickBooks or a custom solution to manage your inventory

Thanks in Advance