Easy Notes Pro - Feedback or any other recommendation ?

For users or potential users.
opensource

Easy Notes Pro - Feedback or any other recommendation ?

Post by opensource » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:48 am

Hello Team,

Does anyone have any first hand experience of using "Easy Notes Pro" with Open-Dental ?. What has your experience been ?. Would you recommend investing in that software or do you have any other recommendation ?. Are there any other lower cost or dare I say..even OpenSource software out there..that even come close to it. With all the new features added to open-dental (I am using 6.4), does 'Easy Notes Pro' still add to the productivity ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback/recommendations...

Cheers,

OpenSource

Rickliftig

Re: Easy Notes Pro - Feedback or any other recommendation ?

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 am

I had originally purchased ENP for use with Open Dental and spent a lot of time customizing it. I think I've come to the conclusiion that it works too well. IOW, it makes the process of entering notes even more complex than it has to be. You start trying to antcipate every eventuality and this is just plain crazy. So, right now, I'm using Dragon Naturally Speaking and dictating notes ontof full page labels and cutting and pasting into charts. I am gradually developing autonote templates for Open Dental and use them for New patient Exams and eventually for recall exams. We will go electronic charting later in the year.

Here are the advantages of Autonotes: very intuitive; easily changed on the fly; a common template for an exam and findings; easy to add extra detail as needed; included in Open Dental and no extra costs.

I like the autonotes A LOT - simple, yet elegant. After all, you don't want to write 'War and Peace' on each patietn chart!

FWIW, I generate a patient letter after the first visit with a program called Dxrpt. It is a thank you and summary of positive and negative findings. ENP could easily be used for this among other things. ENP is very versatile and a good program, but more complex than we need for day-to-day.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

opensource

Post by opensource » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks Rickliftig. I could not agree more with you on the versatility of the ENP program. It is very user friendly and totally customizable. I also agree with you on the fact that the "one-time" setup is the most painful process of it at all but I was thinking about making that investment of time & effort since I guess the productivity gains are huge. I think the application can be used for a lot of other pre-texting...like thank you and other letter templates..etc. The potential is huge.

I wanted to see if there were any negative impacts or better options out there...Opendental Autonotes is a great addition but dont think it has the interactivity that ENP has to offer..and my staff tells me that dealing with Procedure notes is never about one scenario only..there is always those different dynamics in play and ENP allows to deal with that..in a lot of ways.

Thanks for sharing the other info.

Any other -ve feedback on ENP or any other better recommendations ?...

Cheers,

OpenSource

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:19 am

Opendental Autonotes is a great addition but dont think it has the interactivity that ENP has to offer..and my staff tells me that dealing with Procedure notes is never about one scenario only..there is always those different dynamics in play and ENP allows to deal with that..in a lot of ways.
Exactly - and rather than try to anticipate every eventuality with ENP, I try to plan for the most common ones and then manually type in whatever else is needed.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

opensource

Post by opensource » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Playing around with AutoNotes and EasyNotesPro at the sametime...will take a final decision..in the next one month or so..since the work being done (setting up of the questions/answers..etc) can be leveraged on both interfaces.

Cheers,

OpenSource

savvy

Post by savvy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 am

I bought ENP in 2005 (version 1.2.4.29).
I started setting it up with OD with help from ENPs Dr David Burton and Jordan.
Then the AutoNotes feature was placed in OD.
Though not as thorough, it intigrated better.
Then it was tweaked, and now Auto Notes works well....still not as thorough as ENP however.
My concern with ENP is this, the website looks the same as it did in 2005.
The posted Scheduled Events show the April 2006 California Dental Association meeting. There are no other events.
Though there is a link to a Discussion Forum, there isn't one.
The website date is 2005.
I think ENP is stagnent.

What version are you using now?
What version are they selling?
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

opensource

Post by opensource » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Interesting feedback Savvy. Your feedback made me look at the version...it is 1.4.2.39 and the build was released on 1/11/07 (looks like no upgrades since then)..i am still on the trial version though.

I did however get a response from Dr. Burton within a day to my query about integration with Open-Dental (as I posted in one of my other post on this topic to get some clarification from Dr. Jordan)

I am spending some time with Autonotes...Trying to setup a framework to ensure that I do not duplicate on the prompts and the flow is right. Wondering if anyone can post what they have or still better if Dr. Jordan can upload that as a best practice in the user guide or a table download that can be easily uploaded into open-dental autonotes..that would be great.

I am envisioning about 50 to 60 Autonotes and more than 100 prompts for the Practice. How many do you folks have ?

Cheers,

OpenSource

roybloom

Post by roybloom » Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Rickliftig wrote:I
Here are the advantages of Autonotes: very intuitive; easily changed on the fly; a common template for an exam and findings; easy to add extra detail as needed; included in Open Dental and no extra costs.

I like the autonotes A LOT - simple, yet elegant. After all, you don't want to write 'War and Peace' on each patietn chart!

FWIW, I generate a patient letter after the first visit with a program called Dxrpt. It is a thank you and summary of positive and negative findings. ENP could easily be used for this among other things. ENP is very versatile and a good program, but more complex than we need for day-to-day.

I tried to get autonotes to work tonight. I found quicknotes easier to use. Perhaps I was using autonotes incorrectly..could not get it to insert into clinical notes. I found it very easy to make a quick "SOAP" note template, Preop call note etc. Is there any benefit to using autonote vs quick note?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 02, 2009 5:12 am

I suspect you are on an old version then. Auto notes are very quick and easy to create. It was overhauled in 6.4.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat May 02, 2009 6:33 am

I had some .net framework issues with ENP, and I talked to another Dental Integrator and he ran into some of the same problems. Great idea though. And it was cool, but my client didnt want it because of the bugs. Dr. Burton is a really nice guy to talk too.