Signature on File?

For users or potential users.
genwash

Signature on File?

Post by genwash » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:31 am

I'm printing bills until I get Tesia setup and was wondering if I can send them without the actual patient signatures? I dont even know what that mean :lol: . Can someone please explain this and when/if its necessary? Thanks. Sincerely, Extreme Newbie to Everything

JimZ

Re: Signature on File?

Post by JimZ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:57 am

Are you printing BILLS or CLAIMS? I was not aware of Tesia being able to do billing, I thought they were a clearinghouse for electronic claims.
Printing bills doesn't need a signature on file. Sending a claim electonically should. We ask the patients with insurance to sign a 3x5 card that states we are sending their claims electronically and their signature on this card permits us to do just that. Some offices have the document signed electronically via a Tablet PC-- we haven't advanced that far yet!
Jim

genwash

Post by genwash » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:15 am

sorry, i mis-wrote. i am printing claims. i worked at a large group practice before and i never saw anyone signing any signature strips or cards. so if i want to print claims manually or send electronically, i need the patient signature?? thanks.

Debbie OD Support

Post by Debbie OD Support » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 am

The patient does NOT need to sign the claim form. It shows signature on file so if the insurance company request it you can give them the permission they need. But most insurance companies are going to accept the signature on file.
Debbie
Open Dental Support
971-239-1150
service@opendent.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:00 am

When patients fill out their initial paperwork, include a section with something like, "I give this office permission to bill my insurance company on my behalf and to receive payment directly from them." They sign that. That wording covers your "Release of information" and "assignment of benefits". Those two checkboxes are in the InsPlan window. You do have to have those signatures on file once for the patient. Then, having those two checkboxes checked means you don't ever have to worry about signatures again.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com