Sheets: Printing Addresses on Envelops

For users or potential users.
drawab

Sheets: Printing Addresses on Envelops

Post by drawab » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Im really excited to see the ongoing development in the Sheets panel - I had one minor issue

Scenario: Quite frequently I have wanted to send out individual letters to our patients and in the process just need the mailing address printed on the envelop [I don't have a label printer]

Attempt to use Sheets: In an attempt to adapt to this scenario - I coped LabelPatientMail sheet to a custom sheet. I expanded the sheet size to my envelop size Width 900 Height 400 - and opted to use Landscape since the envelop is printed sideway a it is fed into the printer

But when I print the envelop it prints it vertically and does not adapt to the rotated envelop which is how the printer feeds an envelop. I have even tried printing it without Landscape and it comes out exactly the same - [I hope im doing it correctly, in all the this-way-that-way i might have messed up my Height x Width or landscape & portraits

Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Sheets: Printing Addresses on Envelops

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:00 am

Can you get a label printer? Problem solved.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:39 am

I'll second that! I can't describe how many times a day we use the label printer. We are very likely going to get a second one for treatment room use.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Yorek

Post by Yorek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:13 pm

We like printing addresses on plain standard inexpensive envelopes and actually use another program to do so.
Yup, sounds cheap, but it just doesn't make any sense not use the computer to print an envelope. it's too simple.

If anyone can get Sheets to work with standard 9 or 10 envelope
please post it here.

OD, the best dental management program.

roybloom

Post by roybloom » Fri May 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Yorek wrote:We like printing addresses on plain standard inexpensive envelopes and actually use another program to do so.
Yup, sounds cheap, but it just doesn't make any sense not use the computer to print an envelope. it's too simple.

If anyone can get Sheets to work with standard 9 or 10 envelope
please post it here.

OD, the best dental management program.
Yeppers, printing on my very expensive envelopes without a label would be better. I do not know if sticking a label on this friggin expensive logo envelope is problem solved....kinda like saying ....well....you know ...Bush

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 am

Doesn't sound too hard for us to add as a sheet type. You could vote for that feature request.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

sparkly

Post by sparkly » Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 pm

i too will not be getting a label printer anytime soon. i still have my letter merge set up for envelope printing. it prints my logo in addition to patient addresses and always prints in the right orientation for an envelope. as long as the letter merge feature stays active (before the sheets request comes thru), you may want to look into this as an easy-to-use option.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Thu May 07, 2009 6:06 am

Sparkly

Could you post your setup for the envelopes from the Letter Merge, it would be very helpful. Thanks

roybloom

Post by roybloom » Thu May 07, 2009 3:14 pm

That would be neat!

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm

The Open Dental Manual is pretty good when it comes to explaining how to set up the merge feature.

http://www.open-dent.com/manual/lettermerge.html

I am not sure how much this will help you but here are the merge fields I have set up to print on a business size envelope.

«FName» «MiddleI» «LName»
«Address»
«Address2»
«City» «State» «Zip»

Of course, in the return address area of the envelope you could put your information or logo if you are not using pre-printed envelopes.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need specific information about how to set up the merge feature.

sparkly

Post by sparkly » Tue May 19, 2009 11:53 am

Yep, as said above. I'd love to post the word file for you but it's too much of a pain for me to try and upload to a host to post an url.
The key is to set the page layout for the Word document...Landscape...and size...B6, C5, whatever your envelope size is. Then when you select the letter merge fields to place in the document, what you see is what you get.