Error reading setup initialization file

For users or potential users.
DavidWolf

Error reading setup initialization file

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:57 pm

I am trying to restore my data to my home computer, I have deleted and replaced the OpenDental folder in the MySql folder and also deleted and replaced the OpenDentalImages folder, when I run OD it knows that it should upgrade from the previous version to version 6.3.9 but when it tries to run the setup program it reports "error reading setup intitialization file"

What should I do?

DavidWolf

Re: Error reading setup initialization file

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Ok, I found the correct OpenDental.msi file on my server, emailed it to my house and ran it, now it works.
The question I now have is why does the OD backup utility not keep the correct opendental.msi file with the data???

I must not be using the correct protocol to restore the backup at home???

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:10 am

We use a Setup.exe file, not an OpenDental.msi file. Yes, the Setup.exe file is self extracting, and behind the scenes it does create an OpenDental.msi file in a temp directory. But the user should never see that. The Setup.exe file should extract itself on the home computer as easily as it did on the office computer. This is all assuming that you are using version 6.4. The Setup.exe file is different in earlier versions.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:59 am

I will let you know if it continues to not update in the future. I am going to run the most recent update tonight. I will try it again this weekend.

Thanks as always.
DW