Firewall Problem

For users or potential users.
TarheelDentist

Firewall Problem

Post by TarheelDentist » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 am

I am running Open Dental in the following configuration. 4-5 desktop machines that run OD and the data is stroed in a shared network folder that sits on a server machine.

I want to set up a machine level software firewall. To make things easier, I installed firewall in the desktop machine (Not the server).
1. Installed Zone Alarm: Open Dental takes forever to connect to the server.
2. Installed PcTools Firewall: Open Dental hangs.

Do you have any insights into what is going on? Any recommendation for a software firewall?

Thanks
DrC

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Firewall Problem

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:56 am

Zone Alarm is known to cause extreme slowness and must be uninstalled because just turning it off does not work. I would recommend the Microsoft firewall that's included with windows. It behaves well.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

TarheelDentist

Post by TarheelDentist » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Dr Sparks, Will try Microsoft Firewall..

regards
DrC

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:41 am

What is the most secure setup?

DSL Modem>Router>Server (using Windows Firewall)>LAN

I'm a little leary of depending on Windows Firewall since windows is such a frequent target for attack. Would it be better to connect the internet to a computer other than the server and add a different firewall like Zone Alarm?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 am

Why not?:
DSL Modem>Router>LAN
A router with default settings will block ANY incoming signal. So it doesn't matter if Windows firewall is frequently attacked because the attacks will all be blocked at the router.

The purpose of the software firewall is to stop one infected computer in your office from infecting other computers in your office. Good antivirus software on Vista computers will virtually eliminate the initial infection anyway. It's the XP computers that you need to watch out for.

At least that's my opinion.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

V Suite

Post by V Suite » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 am

I use Comodo Internet Security on "workstations" and "server" - all XP Home. No speed issues. Includes Firewall, Antivirus and Software defense shield.

Secure. Automatically updates antivirus/firewall.

You can run Secunia PSI (Software Inventory) which indicates when any software eg Flash, Adobe Reader, browser is insecure.

IIRC Zone Alarm Free does not do networking.