Inactivate patients

For users or potential users.
Nate

Inactivate patients

Post by Nate » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:57 am

I would like to print a list of patients who have not been in the office within the past 18 months. I would use the list to pull their charts and store them elsewhere. I would also want to change their status in OD to Inactive, so that if they do call we will no its been a while since they have been in and can have a better idea what they need to be scheduled for.

I have add a feature request for an automation that will print the list and automatically change their status, but for now what would others suggest? I did try using the recall feature but I found some have not been in for prophy for 18 months but have had other dental treatment and thus I would not want to pull their chart yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jorgebon

Re: Inactivate patients

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:26 pm

I have a query that I use for this purpose:

SET @pos=0;
SELECT @pos:=@pos+1 as 'Number Of Patients', patient.LName,patient.FName,patient.Address,patient.Address2,patient.City,patient.State,patient.Zip, Date_Format(MAX(procedurelog.ProcDate),'%m/%d/%y') as 'Date Last Visit'
FROM patient,Procedurelog
WHERE procedurelog.PatNum=patient.PatNum
AND procedurelog.ProcStatus = '2'
AND patient.BillingType = '40'
AND patient.PatStatus = '0'
GROUP BY procedurelog.PatNum
HAVING MAX(ProcDate) < '2006-01-01'
ORDER BY patient.Address, patient.Address2

Set the date you want to use in the next to last line. This will list the patients that have not come to the office since that date so you can pull their charts. A second query can be written to set their status to inactive, but a query that writes to the database can be dangerous if you don't know enough about queries.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

Nate

Post by Nate » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:42 am

Thanks for the query, it generated the perfect list. Im sure others will benefit from this. I dont mind manually changing the status to inactive because I do not know enough about creating a query. I did not know it was even possible to do it through use of a query. If anyone has altready written a query to set their status to inactive I would be interested in it. But otherwise I have posted a feature request to make the process more simple and straight forward. I know there are many things ahead of this and we have an excellent work around now.

Thanks again

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 am

Please do not use a query to make changes to the database. Too dangerous. Even if you read the documentation, it might not be enough to catch all the little undocumented nuances involved.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Yorek

Post by Yorek » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:34 pm

When patients are made Inactive,
shouldn't they automatically have their recall status 'Disabled" ?

We've had instances when patients are called
when they shouldn't have been.

Can this be corrected.

Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:52 pm

I do know that in the current recall list, it flat-out won't show them unless they have a status of patient. It doesn't matter what their recall shows, they just won't show on the list. I just added that
http://www.open-dent.com/manual/recalllist.html
as reason #6 why a patient might not show on the recall list.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com