offsite backup

For users or potential users.
dand

offsite backup

Post by dand » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm

I would like to leave work when I am done....instead of waiting for my backup to finish. When I do get home I backup onto my laptop.
I am thinking about using an offsite backup, that could upload an hour after the office closes then restore backup at home on my laptop.
Anybody use an offsite backup? And if so with whom?

Thanks
DanD

murmsk

Re: offsite backup

Post by murmsk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:24 pm

crashplan will allow you to backup directly to your home computer for just the purchase of the software which is under $100

steve
steve

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:25 pm

I set up my computer to back up to a computer at my home every night over the internet using something called rsync with linux...working like a charm for about two years now and I don't have to do anything except check and make sure it is working everyone once in a while.

it takes some work however and setting up linux computers, but completely free. If you want something really easy, I think Carbonite works great.
Last edited by drtech on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:21 am

Here's my strategy:

The server backsup OD once a day to separate files on its own drive (M,Tu,Wed,Thu,Week, Month) using Karen's Replicator. I'm thinking of increasing the frequency to twice or thrice a day.

Then I use LOGMEIN Backup to back up to the home computer each night. It has a generation featue and is saving the fiv emost recent versions.

I also use a usb key once a week. This is restored directly into the home version of OD. As the amount of data grows, I get more and more paranoid.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:09 am

In regards to off site backup, I was using Data Deposit Box. I was very happy with the service. It cost about $50 per month and as my data increased it went up to $75. Since I have been cutting back on all of my expenses, I switched to Carbonite. After the initial set up charge (about $500), there is no monthly fee.
It has been doning the job
Hope this helps.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:07 am

Is it possible to use the free version of LOGMEIN to do a backup to a home computer?

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm

if you use their hamachi VPN product as well. (the pro version just bundles this together in a nice package)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com