Prescription Printing has become difficult

For users or potential users.
Nate

Prescription Printing has become difficult

Post by Nate » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:46 pm

I tried to print a script for Prevident 5000 Sensetive, its the newer Prevident with 1.1% Sodium Fluoride and 5% Potassium Nitrate. I wanted to check the 'Dispense as Written' box because if I use 'Generic Substitution Permitted' the pharmacy usually gives the generic Prevident 5000 and there is not Potassium Nitrate which really helps. When I called OD for support it took a while for them to understand what I wanted. Am I crazy or did this use to be an option to check before you print the script. I thought even earlier this year I had the option of checking if I wanted to Dispense as Written or Generic Substitution. Now when I go to the page to print its automatic default to always use Generic.

OD support was able to show me how to go into the sheets and edit my perscription. But the best solution was to delete the check mark in the box so now I would have nothing and would always have to write in the check box if I wanted Brand name or Generic. This all seems a bit difficult for such a simple task. Have I overlooked something or is this really the procedure required to check the boxes?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Prescription Printing has become difficult

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:40 pm

No, Open Dental has never had an on-screen option to check to indicate generic or not. Why not just include "no generic substitution" in your sig (instructions)? Then you could leave the generic box checked, and the pharmacist still wouldn't dare substitute.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Nate

Post by Nate » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:20 am

I will just deal with the script page and remove the checked box as was initially described to me and then return it back when I am done. I do not want name brand most of the time just on rare occasions. I would say 98% of the scripts I write substitution would be fine but there are those few that I want the brand name. I have done it a hand full of times in the past couple years and It seemed as though there was a way to either not mark a box or change it. Im sure it would have came up in the past if there was NEVER a way to change which box is checked on the prescription. Maybe it was just easier before. Well im sure others will wonder at some point when they go to print a script and want that rare brand name drug. Now they may understand that you can uncheck all boxes and then write the check mark after you print it then return the script back with check mark on generic.

Thanks for the reply.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:52 am

There was a global option before. Just like there is a global option now. You were never able to specify it for an individual Rx. I never imagined that anyone would actually be changing the global option in order to alter the appearance of individual Rx's. A setup option like that is meant to be set and then left alone. Don't forget that you could go vote for that feature for individual Rx's.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com