2 monitors

For users or potential users.
jamesx2

2 monitors

Post by jamesx2 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:19 pm

I have set up one of my computers with two monitors. I am able to move any program from one monitor to the next one by just dragging them over. For some reason OD does not allow me to drag it to the second monitor. I have tried minimizing and also right clicking and selecting move. Is there something I am supposed to change to allow me to move the program? It would be nice if the images opened in their own windows so I can just slide the images over to the second screen and keep the OD program on the main screen.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: 2 monitors

Post by jordansparks » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:23 am

I'm not sure. I think it does work that way for some people. You could put the enhancement in as a feature request. "Support for two monitors". Which to me mostly means options in Open Dental that let you define which monitor various windows will open in.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:16 am

I use dual monitors on a couple of machines. Go into your settings for monitors for windows by right clicking on your desktop free space. Make sure you have both monitors highlighted. If not your graphics card is not recognizing both monitors even though it is outputting a signal to both. Then look at the software for you graphics card. See if the settings are for the second monitor to extend you windows desktop to that monitor and the settings under Windows agrees. Do not clone the desktop on one and extend the desktop on the other. (I don't think that is happening for you from what you have mentioned) I just realized as I moved my OD from one monitor to the other OD doesn't like if the resolutions are not identical. One of mine is set to 1024x768 and the other is set to 1280x720. The two monitors have different aspect ratios because I usually buy whats on-sale at WalMart. It still works but the scheduled appointments don't line up exactly as I move from the main monitor so the pictures pop-up's don't appear in rms 3 and 4. No big deal. Hope this helps

Tony

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:20 am

Sorry, carefully read your original post. The image on the second monitor can be done if the image is opened in the chart itself in the tabs. Then it has its own window. Thanks, never tried that but it works.

Tony

drtbar

Post by drtbar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:20 am

Two monitors working fine here, I use ultramon which puts a button in the upper right corner to quickly move the window to the other monitor.

alexei

Post by alexei » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:25 pm

One thing which would improve things is to allow people to use the main window of the program *while* looking at a report. As it is, if you find a mistake or something on a report, you have to close the report window, fix it, then recreate the report, which is a pain. Along with this, you could have an "update" button to update the report based on changes you've made.

jamesx2

Post by jamesx2 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:56 am

I have checked the resolution on both monitors, They are the same. I still can not move OD from monitor one to monitor two. I think Jordan said it works for some but others have problems. I am one with a problem.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:30 am

OD starts out maximized. So did you un-maximize it first?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jamesx2

Post by jamesx2 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 pm

yes, I unmaximized it and tried to drag it from one monitor to the next. It will not move. All other programs have no problem moving from one monitor to the next. I have tried right clicking on it and selecting "move" but it still does not work.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:42 pm

The main Open Dental window should easily be able to move to the other monitor. Did you try switching to the simple tooth chart instead of the 3D tooth chart?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Yorek

Post by Yorek » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:59 pm

We have been using multiple monitors for years. Can't work on just one monitor anymore.
Research says you and your staff can be 20% to 40% more effective.
Patient's love that we're so 'high tec' and many thank me for showing them how.

The best set up is TWO IDENTICAL monitors (so resolution is not an issue).
At the front desk place them so they just about touch (like Central incisors 8 & 9) in the middle of your keyboard. This way they seem like one big monitor, not a main one and a lesser one.

In the operatory (monitors need not be adjacent or even near each other)
I have my xrays on one screen and OD on the other, or internet on one excell the other etc..

We've had NO problems dragging OD from one screen to the other, sorry can't help you there.
In the front office we even open OD twice, so it's on each monitor!
if you haven't triied this just wait.

There are many uses for this set-up, here are just a few..
For eg..
1- Using OD's TASK Lists is the best..
View your TO DO lists on the left monitor while executing the actual task on the right monitor.
and much more.

2- Viewing or confirming data from scanned images on the left while your entering or correcting data on the right.
(especially useful when the telephone # has been entered wrong and you need to compare to the original scanned document). NOTE: 'Task List' are epecially good with WIDE screens just make sure they are "DOCKED" on the RIGHT side of the screen. This is done in Set-up... Misc on the lower left corner "Dock Right"

3- Entering paymnts if you get direct deposit and online EOB's is so easy with two screens.

We recently bought TWO 19inch WIDE screens at staples for a little over $100.00 each
It's a NO BRAINER.. it's so much easier to multi task, cut and paste from reference sources to OD, and just much less toggling back and forth from one program to another... your staff will love you if you haven't triied it yet..
But give it a few days for everyone to catch on. You'll come up with your own favorite uses.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you'll need is either a video card that supports two monitors, usually requires an inexpensive adapter I think it was a DMI for about $10.00, or a second video card.
Relatively easy if you know some computer stuff if not ask your kid :)

Good luck it's worth the effort.

PS don't know why your having so much trouble trying to drag OD from one to the other, Sorry.
What's your operating system and how old is your set up.