computer upgrade

For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

computer upgrade

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:18 am

For those of you "in the know", how difficult is it to buy a newer, faster, more memory computer and transfer everything from one computer to the other? I have been thinking about doing this for a while now and since I will be converting to OD soon, having both MOGO and OD on my computers together really has seemed to slow things down.

So my question is, is there a program I could purchase that would just transfer all I have on one computer to the new one prior to the OD conversion date? Thanks

murmsk

Re: computer upgrade

Post by murmsk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:02 am

if crap on one computer is clogging it I doubt you would want to clone it .... then you would have 2 clogged computers.

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:27 pm

It is also common for those of us "in the know" to purge our computers. That means erase the hard drive, reinstall Windows, and then reinstall all our programs again. It's a good way to clean the slate. Gets rid of viruses, cleans up the registry, etc. Obviously, our data files are treated very differently. We keep those all in one place regardless of which computer we happen to have switched to. So no, I don't think it's a good idea to clone a computer. But it's very easy to buy a new computer, install OD on it, and then move the database over to it so that it's the new "server".
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:44 am

I like that idea, Jordan. If I have to go that route, I will but ......
I just realized that my server has only 512mb of memory and is running both MOGO and OD trial at the same time. I just ran CCleaner and it cleaned alot of crap.
I was thinking of adding 1Gb each to the two available slots for a total of 4.5Gb. Do you think this would be a good alternative to getting a new computer. The computer acting as the Server presently, is a Precision 370 with RAID 1, 160GB SATA drives? Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:39 pm

512 is low. When I do the math, I'm getting 2.5 GB.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:18 am

Yea, your math is correct. I actually ordered 4 x 2gb and will install that before the conversion, I reckon that will help.