od 5.0 and vista home premium

For users or potential users.
enamelrod

od 5.0 and vista home premium

Post by enamelrod » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:56 pm

did i install something wrong it seems that od 5.0 only works if you right click and run as administrator?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm

No, you didn't install it wrong. That's the pleasure of using Vista. We will be making some changes to the program to stop it from doing that, but it's not simple.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Okra

Few more ideas...

Post by Okra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:03 am

For Vista Home, I installed OD while logged on as user A, in admin mode. I had to right click and select Admin to run. I kept getting the warning every time.

For that same computer, I logged on as User B, as admin. I could not find OD listed in installed programs. I opened the OD directory and clicked on OD. It ran fine. I pinned it to Start menu. It would not run. Had some thing to do with working directory and installation registration.

For XP Pro, I installed OD as User A. It ran fine. I created User B. It would not list OD as installed program. I had to pin OD to the Start menu. It ran fine.

I hope these help...

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:03 am

I have Windows Vista Premium as well. The new main security 'update' is the fact that all programs are given basic rights to begin with. This keeps 'bad' programs from being able to take over the computer. The draw back is that some programs including OD need those administrative rights to work. You can try the following to see if it helps:
1. Right click on the shortcut to use
2. Select properties-Compatibility tab-
3. Check the check box named 'Run this program as administrator'
4. Click 'OK'.

You should now be able to run the program without having to select the 'Run as administrator' every time.
Also if the little pop ups bug you allot that pop up and ask you if your sure you want to run the program you can disable them. This could cause security problems though so use with caution. Here's the link I found for that:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

gururajkg

Post by gururajkg » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:42 am

i am using od on hp pavillion tx1301au tablet pc.it works with vista home premium. it works fine when double clicked.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Since my last post on this topic, we have fixed a bug in the program that was requiring the "right click run as admin" sequence. This is no longer required in current versions.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com