My Staff Noted these little things about OD usability

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

My Staff Noted these little things about OD usability

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:58 am

I've been training my staff in OD over the past several weeks. It's interesting to see how the 'non-geek' learns a program. They have pointed out some things that they noted as confusing. I don't think that these are worthy of feature requests, but I have to agree, to the untrained eye, small improvements could be made.

1) they felt the program was very monochromatic'. They were having trouble delineating between the module list, the button bar, and the middle information areas
2) they liked the highlight when you clicked on an insurance claim, but again noted it was all the same grey color. It didn't stand out.
3) They were confused on the insurance claim window between the top and bottom for the screen. They didn't understand that there were two separate windows.
4) One employee was confused on entering payments. She kept hitting the enter key and the cursor did not jump to the next field. (tab works however)
5) They were confused by the many note fields and where they would show up ie) eob notes, statement notes, insurance claim notes
6) they found that the view statement button did not have a magnifier for the statement.

Lots of little things that the rest of us have gotten used to and don't even think about.
So just some thoughts from my world.

Cheers!

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: My Staff Noted these little things about OD usability

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:42 am

I like monochromatic. That way the truly imporant information sticks out more. If you have a lot of different colors, nothing will stick out. But some of these might be worthy of feature requests, like this:
1. Customized colors in toolbars and module bar.
2. Customized highlight color in grids.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Re: My Staff Noted these little things about OD usability

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply, Jordan.

My front desk receptionist and her part-time fill-in are older and has never learned the art of 'playing' with a program in order to learn how to use it. She sees the computer screen as a 'fixed picture'; she is always trying to figure out where her eye should go. I see it as a panel with buttons, boxes and mini-screens.

Interestingly,The younger staff in the office take to the program right away.

And of course, as for myself, I'm not too proud to call the support line and start up Dual Desk!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net