Payment edit bug?

For users or potential users.
atd

Payment edit bug?

Post by atd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 am

I don't know if I did something wrong or if this is a bug. I entered a payment under the guarantor who wrote the check and applied it to the family member that had the balance. Everything looked correct - the payment showed under the patient's account but indicated that it was paid by the guarantor. Then I realized I had entered the wrong check date, so I edited the payment and changed the date. Now it says the check was from the patient rather than the guarantor. I don't see any way to change who made the payment without deleting the check and redoing it. However it was already attached to a deposit slip. Any ideas how to fix this or why it changed on its own?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Payment edit bug?

Post by jordansparks » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 am

I think if you edit a payment and click OK, then it will say it's "from" whichever patient you accessed it from. In other words, can you just edit it the check from the guarantor account, and click OK to fix it? I'm not positive about this behavior.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

atd

Post by atd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:37 am

The payment wasn't listed in the guarantor's account because the check was only applied to the patient - so the only place I could edit it was from the patient account, which then caused the switch.
This will be a common scenario for us because most of our patients are nursing home residents who have someone else that pays their bills (a non-patient setup as the guarantor).

atd

Post by atd » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:15 pm

I just ran across another problem with payment edits. Payment amounts can be edited even after a payment is attached to a deposit slip. Here's how it happened...
I didn't understand how the "Pay" button on the payment edit window worked - I clicked it because I didn't like the way the payment had automatically split, and it automatically changed the total payment amount to match the new splits it created. I didn't notice this had happened until I later looked at the account and saw a negative balance for the patient which I knew wasn't correct. The deposit slip retained the actual deposited amount, but if you add up the amounts of the attached checks it doesn't match.
In testing this further I also found that I can change the payment amount to whatever I want by typing over the original amount, even if it's attached to a deposit. You can't delete a payment that's been deposited, so shouldn't the amount be grayed out to prevent editing?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:48 am

No it should not allow you to change the amount. Are you running in debug mode or something? What specific version?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

atd

Post by atd » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:08 am

I'm on version 6.0.4. I don't know how to turn on debug mode, so I doubt that I am.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:14 am

OK, then I'll enter it as a bug.
Jordan Sparks, DMD