How to set up audit trail?

For users or potential users.
brentwood

How to set up audit trail?

Post by brentwood » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Is there anyway to control what to tack to audit trail? For example I don't see any acitivities being tracked in "family module", "chart module", or "image module" though they appear to be choices in the permission combo box. Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: How to set up audit trail?

Post by jordansparks » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:35 pm

We would fill up the database pretty fast if we recorded every time someone accessed the family module. We record events that are associated with changes that users make to the database, not necessarily events where the user views data.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

brentwood

Post by brentwood » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I was interested in changes of data not viewing of data. It seems to me that we don't record changes to quite a few of modules. Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 am

The family module permission blocks users from clicking on the family module button. It does nothing else. Since clicking on that button alters no data, there will be no family module events recorded in the audit trail.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

brentwood

Post by brentwood » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 am

The permission for family module as well as other modules is for permission. It controls if the user has access or not. I was looking for audit trail for those modules just like the audit trail for appointment module. I would like to see tracks of changes like patient creation, patient data change (e.g. SSN change). For image module, I would like to see the trail of document removal/addition.

For example, right now front desk has access to appointment module and family module. We record the changes in appointments, but we don't have any traces of the patient data in family module. I may be a little bit paranoid. With many people at the front desk updating data, I would like to know who made the changes carelessly or even maliciously. I thought that is one of the reasons we have audit trail. I recently had an incident that one of the front desk entered data very carelessly. It cuased me resubmit many insurance claims and resend recall cards due to incorrect addresses. It is soemthing I would like to track down and improve. Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:32 am

You could submit a carefully worded feature request.
Jordan Sparks, DMD