Suni Feedback

For users or potential users.
jkeele

Suni Feedback

Post by jkeele » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:30 am

Hello to all,

I am looking for feedback from anyone using the Suni sensors with Open Dental. With version 5, I believe it is integrated now. We will be ordering the sensors very soon.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

James
Regards from Switzerland

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 am

Version 5.0 is still beta. We haven't actually been using it with real patients yet, since we had to order sensor holders, etc. To my eye, the image looks the same as when captured in Apteryx. There will undoubtedly still be some bugs or annoyances in the program flow that will be discovered when we start with real patients. I'll post here once we start using it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:51 am

Shouldn't Suni send Dr Sparks a sensor for free to evaluate.... considering the growing number of OD users.
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:57 am

Well, I wanted to keep on using the sensor, not just evaluate it. I don't want to be beholden to them or pressured to market their sensors to our users. As we add more sensors, I think we will probably do it by temporarily "borrowing" sensors from the manufacturers for testing purposes only. That wouldn't put them out anything because we are very very careful with the sensors and we wouldn't even use them in a real patient's mouth.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

abelaguilar

Post by abelaguilar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:57 am

Yes I am also waiting to purchase Suni sensors as soon as its ready for prime time.
Abel Aguilar, DMD
http://www.DrAguilar.com

Okra

Post by Okra » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 am

1 office had 1 sensor broken within a year, and another sensor a few months later. Another office had 1 broken after 13+ months. Both offices spent $4500 for replacements. Make sure you buy and read the fine prints on extended warranty.

jkeele

Post by jkeele » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 am

Okra,
Thanks for the feedback. Question... How long of a warranty did this office purchase? Did these offices have the 5 year warranty for their sensors that is available? And if so, how was the warranty handled? Even I realize that things tend to break, but now the service is an important factor. What was the cause of the failure of the sensor?

And you did not say anything about if these people were satisfied with the quality.

Please when anyone posts a comment, provide all facets of the feedback.... not only negative comments. The details are in the pudding........ is that what they say?

Thanks
James
Regards from Switzerland

dand

Post by dand » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:08 pm

James,

Your comment..... "Please when anyone posts a comment, provide all facets of the feedback".....was unnecessary

Okra was sharing his/her information.
You seem to think that there is nothing wrong with sensors. If you talk to people that have them or see posts on other dental sites, their are some people dissatisfied with them, as is true with most equipment used by a large number of providers.

I am a huge supporter of OD, but as most on this site will agree, there are things we would like to see improved or changed. If someone shares something they don't like about the software, I find it of interest...that is what makes this software what it is...comments from us, one-sided or not are helpful.

I an willing to hear whatever people wish to share on this forum. It will be up to me to determine what to do with the information.

DanD

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:37 pm

"As we add more sensors, I think we will probably do it by temporarily "borrowing" sensors from the manufacturers for testing purposes only. That wouldn't put them out anything because we are very very careful with the sensors and we wouldn't even use them in a real patient's mouth."

Jordan, would you consider borrowing a sensor from us for development purposes? Or am I rushing things a bit?

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Ha ha. Ok, I'll bite. What brand is it?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:14 pm

thats up to you .... something with a linux driver ev2 maybe?

I am ready to buy but I want to have the ability of using it on a linux box someday.

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 am

Ah, you haven't purchased them yet. Well, probably the next sensor that interests me is the Schick because they have such excellent and public documentation on their website. The problem with the e2v is that they do not sell retail. And each retailer generally creates their own hardware controller, making it proprietary. I wouldn't know how to use an e2v unless we purchased at least 100 of them wholesale, and then tried to sell them.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Okra

Post by Okra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:24 am

Hi JK,

in one case, the sensor had no physical sign of abuse, so the Dr. got a free replacement. His other sensor had bite mark. He had to pay for that replacement. He said that Suni would deny any warranty if there is a bite mark, regardless of how long the extended warranty.

The Dr. doesn't like the quality nor performance much. He's inquiring if I could set up phosphoric plates system to run parallel to his sensors.

In another case, the sensor had bite mark. Dr. did not have extended warranty. So, he wasted $4500 in 13 months. This Dr. said the performance is ok.

I have 2 clients using Schick. Their sensors have a few bite marks. None is broken.

I took some x-rays on Suni and Schick, with reference to see the effective area of the sensors. Suni has 1/8" dead borders. Schick has a bit less.

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 am

how about Owandy? I understand they use a twain driver. Would that make them useable under linux?

steve
steve