Treatment Presentation / Patient Education Systems

For users or potential users.
opensource

Treatment Presentation / Patient Education Systems

Post by opensource » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:27 am

Hello Team,

I understand that open-dental has good graphical charts and that along with some personalized treatment presentation should make up a good 'Treatment Presentation / Patient Education system' however of late, I am contemplating the introduction of a 'Professional' Patient Education / Treatment Presentation system such as "CAESY" or "MediaMed" or something else to increase the case acceptance.

Before I make the investment, wanted to reach out to you and get your thoughts/suggestion on the same. Have any of you been using systems such as "CAESY" or any others. What is your experience...given a choice, would you still have invested in such a system. Are there any opensource systems. Do these kind of systems get outdated quickly ?..what have you done to avoid this.

What do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on such a system...what kind of licensing have you purchased ?.

Any and all kind of information that you can share would be really helpful.

Dr. Jordan, are you planning integration of open-dental with any of these systems. Some of them claim to have integration with Dentrix / Eaglesoft...not really sure of what integration means ?...does it mean the system automatically customizes the "Patient Education / Treatment Presentation" based on the "Treatment Plan" for the patient ?

Cheers,

OpenSource

Rickliftig

Re: Treatment Presentation / Patient Education Systems

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Dear Opensource-

I have contemplated CAESY too, but nothing beats your clinical acumen and rapport with the patient. Last week, I did a complex case presentation using OD. It consisted of a series of the patient's photos, chart on OD, fmx and models. The photos and films were on OD and I could easily switch from picture to picture. I daresay at the end of the appointment, she really had a good idea of the difficulties her case presented and actually suggested treatment that was far more important in the long run.

sidenote: The patient (52yo female) has a class II div 2 deep overbite with lingual inclination of the anteriors (long maxilla also). #10 did not form and #11 was moved into the #10 spot. Then, a bridge was placed to fill the missing space (new10-pontic11-abutment12) (30 years ago) ARGGGGHHH! Today - Ideal treatment would have been canine in canine position and a mesial cantilever #10. Also, missing #30 has increased the patient's dependency on left lateral function. There is a lot of wear secondary to function and the porcelain lingual of the bridge. Long story short - the patient wishes to restore function on #30 first and later will consider the esthetic/ functional nightmare of #10/11/12.

No way in creation that CAESY could come close to addressing these issues. Now for explaining a simple crown or implant, it would be great. But why not get a video cam and have your assistant film you doing the same?

Personally, I'm not sure how many of our patient's WANT the nitty gritty of each procedure explained by some disembodied voice - these tutorial systems are very impersonal. There is one system that has no soundtrack and lets you fill in the details (not sure of the name) and this I see as desirable.

There is also a ton of free stuff out there - Crest just sent me a nice dvd on power brushing (a little long at 7 minutes, although this can be edited <G>) and they have plenty on their website.

Y'know, basically I'm cheap, but when you are talking about thousands of dollars for the CAESY (or any other purchase), the question is, will it pay for itself or is it just an expensive toy?

Hope this helps a little.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:48 am

I have to agree with Dr Liftig. I use a very inexpensive (nitty gritty)presentation system ($89 Dent Pix) which is just a few Powerpoint presentations for graphical explinations to prime the pt on the basics of the treatment. The onus is on me as a practioner to "educate" the patient. I have found too many times we rely on the technology to do our job. Technolgy is an excellent assistant, not a replacement. I have found that in combo with the x-rays and intraoral pics there is no problem selling the treatment since the patient can truely visualize (through the case presentaion software). I can't justify the cost of many of the pt educations systems. I think the design is more to selling the Dr on purchasing it than educating the pt.

PS:While writing this I went to see an exam. Pt accepted comprehensive tx plan. It works very well for me.

Tony

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 pm

I revised my case presentation system about 18 months and it has been working very well for all new patients and for complex cases. If interested, I can share it with you...just let me know. But basically, the system uses a CDA, Key Problem Indicators, Photos, XRays and Models to explain the pathology and offer treatment options. It works well at communicating complex problems in an orderly and understandable way. I don't use use the graphics on OD during the case presentation. Honing my communication skills was very important. I get a good case acceptance rate and I don't think Casey or the others will increase my acceptance rate. Regrets are usually financially related.

I looked into Casey and Consult Pro, but didn't want to spend the money, especially for a network license. I can't understand the added cost for use on multi stations. However, I will probably purchase Consult Pro in the near future and use it for Informed Consent. Once the treatment plan has been verbally accepted, and I want the patient to understand the details of the procedures, is where I see Consult Pro fitting in....especially for sinus lifts and implant placement.

I should have prefaced this response by saying that most of my patients have a high dental IQ. Most are very intelligent people. Dent Pix works well for simple procedures for patients with low dental IQ's. I have the hard copies, not the cd's, but am often embarassed to use them because they look like they are for 1st graders.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:32 pm

I started using Consult-Pro. Excellent for documenting patient education.
I created a Program Link to open the program.
What would be needed to enable the Link to also log me in to Consult-Pro and open or set up a patient?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 am

have you figured out a bridge or program link for consult pro?

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 pm

enamelrod wrote:have you figured out a bridge or program link for consult pro?
Not using it anymore. I agree with everything Rick Liftig wrote above.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Consider DDS GP app for iPad. It's in the iTunes store. I wrote this app in 2010-2011 for myself and it blossomed into a full blown system. Very well rated, easy to use.

Jordan: remove this post if you consider it an inappropriate conflict. I am here on this board primarily as a happy OD user, not to talk about my own app.
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 am

Rob - thanks for the kind words, but looking at the posting date of 2008, I declare this a zombie thread!

BUT... Dr. Bob Marcus who developed GPDDS is to be congratulated on his excellent and reasonably price iPad app!!! This is honestly, all you need and a lot more effective than a canned presentation. Good to see you are a part of the OD community. I think we are all 'hackers at heart'.Love the app.

Best,
Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Only for iPad? Not for Windows/Droid?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 am

Hersheydmd wrote:Only for iPad? Not for Windows/Droid?
Yes, only iPad. I recommend the office purchase an iPad for itself. Any iPad, old or new, will be sufficient. This device should remain at the office and be used for treatment consultations. That way it is always charged and available. If you prefer a different brand device for your personal use, that is fine. This device is for office use. Some people feel that since they don't like Apple, or Apple products, that they should not use an iPad. This is a very silly philosophy. The iPad is very easy to use and the learning curve is almost zero for everybody who works at your office. iPad is inexpensive and the battery lasts a very long time, making it a perfect device for office use. You can also hand it to your patients to use when they have to wait. As a CEREC provider, in our office it's popular for patients to mess with the iPad while they are waiting for a e.max crown to be crystallized. It's amazing… I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment in my CEREC operatory... they don't even notice it, and yet when I pull out the iPad suddenly my patients think I'm very high-tech!
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am

Cool, I was thinking of getting Surface Pros for patients, but I am not Ok with the current cases available for it as none of them provide shock or moisture protection.

I envision using Lifeproof jackets which provide shock and moisture protection for the iPad, that way I can sanitize those pads daily and literally just wash them down.

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 pm

In my humble opinion, I think that although OD is an excellent DPMS, It was not designed with PED in mind. I also agree that nothing beats the personal touch. I think that an office that sets the tone from the beginning, it is planning a seed in the patient's mind for better oral health care. Now that I am done with the commercials. Here is a couple of things that come to my mind. CurveEd.com has a free online patient education. You don't need to buy Curve Dental to use it. Another suggestion is that maybe you guys should create your own videos, post them on youtube, create your own youtube channel, and then create a Program Link in OD to your youtube channel. You can also create a program link to CurveED. If you do your own videos you kill two birds with one stone. It will help you rank your SEO, if you have a web page, and you can use it as a personalized PED.
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

caringdentists

Post by caringdentists » Fri May 29, 2015 10:00 am

Rickliftig wrote:Rob - thanks for the kind words, but looking at the posting date of 2008, I declare this a zombie thread!

BUT... Dr. Bob Marcus who developed GPDDS is to be congratulated on his excellent and reasonably price iPad app!!! This is honestly, all you need and a lot more effective than a canned presentation. Good to see you are a part of the OD community. I think we are all 'hackers at heart'.Love the app.

Best,
Rick

His marketshare would explode if he ported DDS GP to windows and android. .... sigh... I have 7 pc one in each OP ... now I have to buy an IPAD? NO THANKS

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Fri May 29, 2015 10:58 am

I also have a PC in every op. 5 plus 4 at the front desk. 1 for the pan. And the server totals 11. Also a Surface Pro for medical history updates. And.... an iPad in every op used as I described above. The iPad is a tiny investment compared to the increased production from thorough case presentation sitting side by side with a patient instead of pointing to a computer screen. It makes me kinda chuckle when a doctor hesitates based on the cost of an iPad ($300-500) as a part of his office. Dentists tend to get flustered and even angry when a patient refuses treatment based on cost. We blame the economy or insurance... but never ourselves. Then, we turn around an do the same thing! Truly, the doctors who don't understand this concept need it the MOST.
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA