OD w/o a "server"

For users or potential users.
cheroxy

OD w/o a "server"

Post by cheroxy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:54 pm

I read back a couple of years on the posts about hardware and have a couple questions...

Many people said that you don't need a dedicated server, just get a good desktop and use it as a server for 10 computers or less. Can you do more than 10? If not is that b/c it starts to be too much data for a non-dedicated windows server or is it b/c xp/vista limit you to 10?

I'd like to estimate HDD size to get. If I assume an upgrade every 3 years, how much space does a typical all digital practice fill up on an average year for say a single doctor 4 chair practice?

Does extra RAM help at all w/ OD and Apteryx/XDR/Tigerview on your "server?"

How about extra front side bus or extra cash size when getting the processor/ram?

It seems like OD doesn't quite yet take advantage (or even need to) multiple processors, but does a quad core vs dual or even single help out when you have multiple instances of OD open on the different computers?

Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: OD w/o a "server"

Post by jordansparks » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 am

As it turns out, the 10 computer limit only applies to shared folders, and not actually to the MySQL connections. We are successfully using a Vista workstation as a MySQL server for roughly 25 computers. But we have the AtoZ folder on a network attached hard drive. The network attached hard drive has no connection limit. So we've gotten around the 10 computer limit without having to get MS Server and without having to use Linux. We're going to document this new preferred setup soon in the manual.

Our MySQL 'server' also has the MySQL database that handles all of our customer Update and Feature Request services. Our web server computer falters every few days, but the MySQL 'server' just keeps humming along without a problem.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cheroxy

Post by cheroxy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:03 am

Jordan,
Great news. I assume when I do my setup in a couple months that I can get that network info through tech support if it isn't in the manual yet.

Anyone else have any ideas about the other questions?

Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 pm

There's not really any "info" beyond what I just posted above. That's it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

igotacavity

Post by igotacavity » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:22 pm

Vista has a limit of 5 or 10 connections depending on what version you get. Even with XP, home version has a limit of 5, while Pro has a limit of 10.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Right, but those connection limits do not apply to MySQL connections.
Jordan Sparks, DMD