Hide inactive box

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Hide inactive box

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:20 am

Hi all -

As likely the newest OD user in the OD universe, I am gradually learning the ins and outs of the program. I am sure that I will be posting many queries over the next few months (especially once my front desk starts using the program like a real person (not a geek)).

So #1: Is there any way to get the 'hide inactive' selection box (in the Patient Selector) to 'stick'?
IOW, each time that access the box I don't want to have check it repeatedly. Also, I too would love to be able to color code patient names in the selector. It was very handy in my old program to give a quick alert to flag payment problems, etc,

OD is my third (and likely ultimate) practice management program. I started with AAIDENT (Advanced Applications - user #14) in 1989, switched to Intellident in 1999 (for Y2K) and now OD. My first computer (not mine really, was a DEC PDP-8 (1967)) then my roomate's Heath H-89. I was active on Compuserve's Medsig group (76137,3361@compuserve.com!) in the 80's and 90's.

As our reliance on these programs becomes more and more essential, the availability of the data and the database structure cannot be compromised. My first switch in programs was from DOS based (Btrieve - yikes!) to Windows based Paradox. Unfortunately, this nice little company (intellident) was bought out by Practiceworks and Kodak. And today, despite the attraction of free Eaglesoft, I think that Jordan and company will be around for a long time and my database, the heart of the program, will always be accessible and scramble-free! I'd much rather support this dedicated group of folks than a Patterson or Schein.

Jordan - Kudos to James on his conversion from my Intellident system . He achieved about a 95% conversion rate from this program and the cost was EXTREMELY reasonable. Obtaining help and advice on using the program has been effortless. You've got a great crew and a great program.

best,

srick@snet.net
Rick Liftig DMD
Univ. of CT. 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Rickliftig

Re: Hide inactive box

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:21 am

Also- In that same window (pateint selection), the slider does not appear until the 'get all' button is pushed. Wouldn't it be advantageous to have the slider always availabale? Or does this slow down an older system?

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

savvy

Post by savvy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Welcome to the universe.
I, too, went from Intellident to OD, as well as from a DOS program to Intellident due to Y2K. Intellident was GREAT!!!!! (may it rest in peace)
It could have been fabulous, had it not sold out to InfoCure, then bought up and killed by PracticeWorks.
One thing OD needs is a recall system as good as Intellident's......then it too can be fabulous.

Cheers!!!!!!!
Savvy
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Maybe we should send Jordan an old copy of Intellident for ideas! <G>

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:03 am

The reason inactive patients always show by default is that you don't want to accidentally create a duplicate patient. You really do want to see all patients in the database. But if there is someone that you really want to permanently hide, then change their status to archived. This should be used sparingly, because if such a patient calls again, it is very likely that your staff will not be able to find them and will create a duplicate patient. And that's fine for archived patients.

For the color coding, use billing type. It won't actually color anything yet, but we're moving in that direction. Also, in version 5.8, you could rearrange the columns in the patient select window to put the billing type as the first column if you want. So that window will be more powerful when you switch to 5.8.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com