Problematic logon to server database

For users or potential users.
nchr

Problematic logon to server database

Post by nchr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 am

Dear OD team,

I have recently set up my practice where the database of OD is on one central computer and every computer that is connected to the network can use the same database.

The only problem we are having is that every time the computers start (not the central of course) and starting OD we come to the edit paths screen and we have to manually browse for the shared folder and every time we have to insert the username and password of the central computer to recognize the paths. We have windows vista home premium on the "remote" computers so I guess it is some kind of a permissions issue. (Like windows xp home it does not save the username and password of remote computers).

I have already created a batch file at startup that logs the computers to the central computer and I can browse the remote folders without the use of a password every time. The only program that still asks for username and password is open dental.

Thanking you in advance, (Again)

Nicos Christodoulides
Nicos Christodoulides

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Problematic logon to server database

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:01 am

Can you show me what the path looks like?

Also, see the Vista page
http://www.open-dent.com/manual/vista.html
which has a few ideas about folder sharing.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

brentwood

Post by brentwood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 am

I dont' have vista by my side now. But I think it is caused by UAC. Open Dental tries to access the share fodlers, e.g. DentImages. That shared folder does not allow the current user to access. Let me give you an exmaple.

You may have user "doc" on the "central computer" with the folders (DentImages and DentalLetters) to be shared. The user id you use to login to the remote computer is either not "doc" or has a diffent password. Now Vista tries to establish the shared drive connection with the wrong credential. Hence, the problem happens.

You have two options.
1. Create a set of identical user id/passwords on every machine you will use to access Open Dental. And make sure those ids have right to the shared folders (DentImages and DentalLetters).

2. Disable UAC.

I don't think it has anything to do with database. It doesn't have anything to do with OpenDental itself, either.

Let me know how it goes.

nchr

Post by nchr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:06 am

Thanks for the quick replies...

The path look like this: \\LEFKO-PC\OpenDentImages

I ever tried using the ip of the computer with the database, but I get the same problem.

I am trying now the different solutions you proposed and I will come back with the results.

Thanks

N
Nicos Christodoulides

nchr

Post by nchr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:47 am

Found the solution.

I first disabled UAC on both computers and it worked like a charm. I then got the idea to check the properties of od executable file and apparently I had the run as administrator checkbox checked (I had always enabled it from previous versions of OD). When I unchecked the box, even with UAC enabled I could login with no problems whatsoever.

It was simpler than expected (as always)

Thanks for you time
Nicos Christodoulides