"Unable to Save Document"

For users or potential users.
Creation125

"Unable to Save Document"

Post by Creation125 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:23 am

Hi, I am having problems saving documents from the Sanner to the images module in Open Dental 5.6.27.0. It sometimes works, but 50% of the time it would say "unable to save document" after the document has been scanned. I am saving the documents to a server computer from a client computer on windows xp.

Anyone have any ideas?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: "Unable to Save Document"

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:46 pm

I haven't seen anything intermittent like that before. Maybe shut down everything including the server and the router and the switch, and starting it back up again? I'm just taking wild stabs in the dark. You could try to duplicate it in Windows outside of OD. If you can do so, then it's not an OD problem.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi Jordan,

I have tried resetting everything, but the problem is still there, but only intermittent. The scanner and drivers do work outside OD in the windows environment, so I really have no idea now. Thank you for your help.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:36 am

When you say that it happens 50% of the time....does it work once and then not work or does it sometimes not work at all?
It may have something to do with a Win XP user account not having proper security settings to write files to the server???

Just a stab in the dark....

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Thank you for your replies. It works sometimes, and when it works, it keeps on working. Then the next time I boot up computer, it does not work at all. I did not set passwords, or specific permissions on the Win XP computers. I have thought that this might be the problem, and tried to copy files over to a shared folder on the server: "Office files", and it copies over without a hitch. Then I tried doing another scan on OD, but it still would not save. :(

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:05 am

Is your server Windows or Linux? How many client computers do you have in the office connecting to this server?
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:04 am

So when it's for sure not working, just give us a call and we can take a look at your paths. What does your data path look like? Is it like "Z:\OpenDentImages" or like "\\Server\OpenDentImages"? If it's the former (a mapped drive), then that's probably the problem.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

panamanian33

Post by panamanian33 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi Creation125, what is the scanner brand name and model number? For example, Epson Perfection V200 Photo

I ran into a problem like this before with a customer that was using Dexis. I fixed it by updating scanner drivers.

Also, it would be a good idea to look at the Application and System logs under the "event viewer". This utility is located under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer in Windows. You'll be amazed how much information this tool can provide regarding "Windows or Software issues.

Anyways, just keep us posted

Alex

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy setting up the office.

I am running windows xp with one server and 3 client workstations. I did not map the directory to a drive. It is in the format: \\Server\OpenDentImages. The scanner is a Canon Pixma MP530 Office All-In-One Inkjet Photo Printer. I have already tried updating the drivers, but it still won't work. Hopefully there is a way to fix this... :?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 am

I think it's security of some kind. Have you tried turning down the security as a troubleshooting measure? Is your 'server' Windows XP or is it Windows Server2003 or is it something else?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:43 pm

I don't have any security set up. Using windows xp professional as server. I really need to go paperless... but this is driving me nuts. :evil:

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:18 am

I'm a bit stumped. As a general rule, when troubleshooting, you have to eliminate all possible causes one at a time. This would mean, in a perfect world, you would:
1. Try a different scanner.
2. Try a different computer.
3. Try a different network topology.
Smaller offices will have a harder time doing this because they do not have any redundancy, but you can still try. You might start with 3. Designate a different computer as your "file server". Move your A-Z folder to that new file server. You can leave MySQL and the database on the original server since they are working fine. Maybe even make the workstation that the scanner is connected to be your new file server.

If that doesn't solve the problem, go to step 1. A scanner costs less than $100 and can be quite small. Maybe it has something to do with the "all-in-one" device. Break the all-in-one functions down into their components by getting an alternate scanner. If it works, and the all-in-one doesn't, then problem solved. If it doesn't work either, then I would start to suspect network hardware or software. Could be a network switch, network wiring, network card, virus on computer, etc. Hopefully, you'll solve it long before you have to start considering these things.

Let us know how it goes.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:56 am

This happens to me on occasion too. It only happens on large documents at 300 dpi. If I change to 150dpi it will save . Maybe it is a size thing?

steve
steve

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Thank you very much for your replies :D . I will give it a shot and designate another computer as my file server for scan images. I'll see if it is the server acting up, but I doubt it because file sharing is ok, and apteryx database works fine on it too. If that doesn't work I will try another scanner. However, I would much rather backup the files to server because of ease of backup though. But I'll try it to narrow down the problem first.

I will also give 150dpi a shot, Steve. Thank you. Did you have any problems when you choose 150dpi at all?

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:27 am

it has only happened to me a time or two and 150dpi always solved it.

steve
steve

savvy

Post by savvy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:45 am

Hmmm, My reply was here yesterday......now it's gone.

In a nut shell......
This problem happened to me last week after upgrading to (CORRECTION : 5.7.11)
Nathan at OD knows all about it.
Call him.

Cheers!!!!

PS> after the upgrade patient statement copies would not be saved in the image file.
Last edited by savvy on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:03 am

I guess I had better talk to Nathan then.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:40 am

Please keep us updated, thank you :o

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:26 am

Any news on the fix? Please let us know :D

savvy

Post by savvy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 am

I no longer have the issue.....call OD.

Good luck.
Cheers!!
Savvy

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:13 pm

Savvy,
Can you briefly describe what was wrong, and how it was fixed?

savvy

Post by savvy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:07 pm

Sure......
I use an Epson 1680 Pro scanner w/ transparency adapter and an HP 5370C scanner.
We scan everything into the patien'ts image files.

After updating to, i believe, OD v5.7.11 we began having issues.
When we tried to scann into OD using the "scan" button we would get an error that the twain could not be found, or something to that effect.
Of course we thought we did something that caused it. I thought it might be a USB issue.
I realized it was an OD issue when we printed statements and we got an error that the statement images could not be saved.

I called OD support and spoke with Amber. Amber brought in Nathan. Nathan swore up and down that it was a change by us of the windows security files, or something like that. He was convinced it was not an OD issue, until.......

I pointed out that I could scan and save documents outside of OD. Nathan connected to my computer and started dancing around through the files. He kept saying that it was weird and strange, etc. Ultimately he changed something and it began to work again. I have no idea what he did....I trust he does.

Good luck!
Cheers!!!
Savvy

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you Savvy for detail explaination. I hope Nathan can chime in and tell us what the problem and fix was :o

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Savvy's issue that he called and talked to me (and amber) about on July 11 was a file permissions issue, I did not record the exact permission but it was either a read only folder or file or a share or security setting for a particular folder or file. Savvy had not changed anything, unfortunately, Windows is a wily beast and seems to set permissions on it's own sometimes, even preventing the owner/creator from changing the permissions back, and it can be a real pain.
We can slog through the particular issue live over phone, but permissions in some form is usually the cause of this problem (but not if changing the DPI setting solves the problem). I will read through this thread and see if I missed anything in particular.
Nathan

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:13 pm

FYI, the only time I have seen this type of 'Intermittancy' with the images folder was when there was more than one 'server', the Internet service provider had a xxx.yyy.server@zzz that the netwrok sometimes decided to send traffic destined for the local server to.

When it does NOT work, try and ping the server by name from a command prompt, and see from the IP address if it is the same 'server' to which your datapath is set, or give us a call. In any case it is likely a network or permissions issue.

Nathan

Creation125

Post by Creation125 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Thank you Nathan for you reply :P , I will give it a try as soon as I get back to the office.