Windows 10 acting as a server with the 1803 update

For users or potential users.

Windows 10 acting as a server with the 1803 update

Postby Justin Shafer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

I have 2 people in this boat, and at various times the network clients can no longer access the file shares on the Server. This is a known problem that MS is aware of and according to the KB this won't be fixed until sometime later in June....

I have removed SMB1 and ran just SMB2\3 and still have issues.. So I am dropping it all down to SMB1.... So far it is working.... ?????

So... they recommend using SMB1 instead of SMB2.

So you get to enable SMB1 in programs and features on ALL computers running Windows 10.
Server needs SMB1 Server and Client
Workstations need just the SMB1 Client and if Windows 10 Pro enable SMB Direct, if Windows 10 Home enable SMB Automatic Removal (Yeah the doc bought some Windows 10 Home computers as well)

Reboot.

On the server you run:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $false

From the workstations:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Reboot all the computers and you are now running strictly on the SMB1 protocol.

Anyone else having these issues? I just set this and hopefully it sticks.. The doc was having Open Dental, Yapi and myself look at this issue and I told him it's a bad idea at having this many people look at issue like this, because none of us knows what the other is doing. :D

I also enabled 4 services to be automatic:
DNS Client
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host

Not sure how necessary it is to have those running because I think with the Browser service available in SMB1 network discovery is working anyways... but SMB2\SMB3 just ain't working reliably without have to reboot a workstation throughout the day.

Feel free to chime in.. as I just set this configuration... 5 minutes ago! :D
This office is using a Dell Precision with Raid... Kinda wishing I made him spend the extra grand on a PowerEdge T330 with Server 2016 now.. :D

This is with the update that came out today:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4284835/windows-10-update-kb4284835
Justin Shafer

Re: Windows 10 acting as a server with the 1803 update

Postby Justin Shafer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Well.. that didn't work.. same issues.. reverted!

Upgraded the Intel driver on the Windows 10 Box.. otherwise... I am going to either go to an older version of 10 or throw on Windows 7 or something.

I have another office actually running a different PMS and they haven't said there are any problems... But they are a small office and maybe they just reboot the workstations.. I should call them.

2 Dental Offices and 1 Home Office Attorney... Out of which 2 are having an issue.

Edit: Downgraded the Windows 10 server to 1709.. see if that just fixes everything.
Justin Shafer

Postby JLM » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

SMB1 is enabled through turning on and off windows features in Windows 10.
I have windows 10 pro host and windows 7 guest vmware server because still running vixwin and it don't do smb2.
Weird thing is that the host refused to access the smb1 share on the server but no other computer in the office complains.

JLM
JLM

Postby Justin Shafer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Yeah I have had the same reliability issues "network path not found" when trying to browse shares..

So far no problems with the server back on 1709. Think I am going to stay on 1709 for awhile with the server.

I posed a question here one guy said to try resolving the unc path by ip, after going to SMB1.. Haven't tried that... But.. my god... This is no good.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a55010d959
Justin Shafer

Return to Main Forum