can't connect to mysql host after windows update

For users or potential users.

can't connect to mysql host after windows update

Postby drtbar » Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 am

Come in this morning and half of my clients cannot connect to the sql server on the server box. After a restart all but one was able to connect. The server updated last night and it seems 10% of the time when windows updates, it breaks something on my network.

The box that I still cannot get to connect can connect to the server via windows explorer with the path \\server, but opendental cannot connect for some reason. I've tried running as administrator and restarted 3 times.

Any suggestions?
drtbar

Re: can't connect to mysql host after windows update

Postby drtbar » Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 am

I was able to get it going, but don't really have a definitive solution. With the help of James on chat support, I tried typing the ip of the server to get past connecting to the mysql server screen, then it hung on looking for a-z folder, which it would not accept the "ip\opendentimages" so I went back to the default "\\server" and it worked. No idea why it hung to begin with or why the same setting before all of a sudden worked. Just to let others know what worked for me. Hopefully it helps someone else.
drtbar

Postby wjstarck » Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am

Shouldn't it have been \\IP\opendentimages?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
TX, USA
wjstarck

Postby Tom Zaccaria » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm

I have had this problem from time to time after an update. Very frustrating.
I usually just Right click on the Start Menu, Select File Explorer, Navigate to our server which is the 'F' drive.

The server usually has a red 'X' over it which means the local machine is not connected to the server. I right click on the server, the red 'X' goes away and OD behaves as normal.
Hope this helps.
drtmz
Tom Zaccaria

Postby psculldmd » Mon May 21, 2018 10:04 am

I am having this same problem but, nothing is working to reconnect to the MySQL server.
Anyone else have a solution?
Thanks
psculldmd

Postby jsalmon » Mon May 21, 2018 11:02 am

For whatever reason my MySQL service didn't automatically start after the most recent Windows Update and I had to manually go into my Services and start the MySQL service.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com
jsalmon

Postby psculldmd » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 am

MySQL service is up and running, OD works fine on computers not updated. Only the 2 computers with the spring update can not connect.
psculldmd

Postby Tabakdds » Tue May 22, 2018 7:21 pm

I have the same problem after windows update. Half of my client computers are working, half are not connecting, even though I can see all the files on the server. I tried everything from reinstalling client version, restarting the client PC, I ran compatibility to version 8, then after clicking ok several times the computer randomly connects. I wish I knew the sequence of what needs to done in order to fix it. If anyone knows definitive solution please post it. Thank you.
Tabakdds

Postby rhaber123 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

Thiis is a network issue, not OD ISSUE.

option 1
ON YOUR SERVER, find the ip address of the server,
and on your workstations, when you start OD and you enter the database location screen in OD, enter the ip address instead of entering the name of the server

option 2, and for a permanent solution
ON YOUR ROUTER, you can specify that your server will ALWAYS have the same IP address that you will assign to it.,
There are a lot of instructions on youtube that shows you how to assign an ip address to a computer on your router
AND ON YOUR WORKSTATIONS
go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts , and in the "hosts" text file you can add the ip address of the server and its name.
This will allow window to know that your"server' has that specific IP address.
But to add it, you MUST edit the hosts file as an ADMINISTRATOR.it means right click on notepad, and open it as an administrator, and save it after.
rhaber123

Return to Main Forum