send sms from opendental and recieve reply through gmail

For users or potential users.
vishal

send sms from opendental and recieve reply through gmail

Post by vishal » Sat May 11, 2013 8:54 am

i found an app on the android play store that allows sending sms through the phone from opendental. any replies are received from patient through gmail.

it's called desksms from clockworkmod.

how to get it to work:
set up a gmail email address in opendental
put the patient's email address as there phone number@desksms.appspotmail.com e.g. 0862345678@desksms.appspotmail.com
click send email in opendental.
make sure you have installed desksms on phone and that it is connected to internet and that gmail account is same as the one used in opendental.

hope this is of use to you guys

vishal

Re: send sms from opendental and recieve reply through gmail

Post by vishal » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am

i'm supprised everybody isn't using this method and nobody has posted back.
the ability for patients to reply to text messages is not offered with other opendental partners and the ability to reply to send sms from a gmail account is fantastic.
i know international users would love this.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am

Vishal, check out this post and the links in it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4957
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

vishal

Post by vishal » Sat May 18, 2013 12:09 am

That would not work outside the USA. Also the patient will reply to your Google voice ID. My way, the patient results to your office cell phone. But the front desk need not have your phone if you don't want. They can send and receive messages from Gmail. And they can send SMS messages from open dental. If open dental had an email client it could do both. Here's hoping.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat May 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Vishal,
I didn't realize that you couldn't sign up for Google Voice outside the US. Here is a LifeHacker article on how to to do just that.
http://lifehacker.com/5726407/use-a-goo ... ide-the-us
The problem is, getting a US Google Voice #, anyone who replies to you will be replying to a US #.

Before I found Teethdood's post about using GVDial I was using a method similar to yours. except I wasn't using an app like Desksms. I was simply asking each patient for the name of their cellphone carrier and then inputting their phone number with their cellphone carriers "email" address, so for example, sending a text to a verizon customer cell phone I would add 1234567890@vtext.com to the email field in OD, with their regular email and their cellphone address separated by a comma. SMS replies, would come back to our office email box. Not sure if that would work where you are, but may be worth a try.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2449&p=10329&hilit= ... ing#p10329

It would work better if we had a way to input the cell phone carrier address in a separate field, rather than adding it to the email field. We should be able to choose whether to send a message to the regular email or the cell phone as an e-mail to sms text. I think we had a feature request for it, but it never made it to the top.

I love the way GVDial and Google Voice link so easily with OD. Too bad you can' t do the same thing. Good luck.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

CeylonSoft1

Post by CeylonSoft1 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:54 am

Hi,

Checkout the following plugin for OpenDental:
http://www.DentistPatientManagement.com

Thanks,
Allen