Windows 7 and Multiple Locations

For users or potential users.
SpeedGP

Windows 7 and Multiple Locations

Post by SpeedGP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:05 am

Hello All,

We have 3 locations with 3 different databases. We've been using the FreeDentalConfig.xml with a simple batch file to copy to the OpenDental program directory then it automatically loads the database that it is configured for. Since Windows 7 has come out we've been doing some testing and this doesnt seem to be working anymore, well, it does, you just have to be an Administer of the PC to do it.

I was very curious to see if there was any other way to do multiple databases or a workaround for Windows 7 and standard users for the launchers.

Thank you very much,

-James

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 and Multiple Locations

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Regular users are allowed to pick a different database to open, but it just won't save their selection to the config file. That shouldn't hurt anything. We will someday let you pass in your preferred db in the command line, or else let you set up multiple databases in the config file for regular users to pick from.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

SpeedGP

Post by SpeedGP » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Hey Jordan, Thanks for that reply last year! I was looking around and found all of the command line arguments and they are exactly what I was looking for!

These work great on our Windows XP systems, but Windows 7 Systems say "Files will now be copied. Workstation version will be updated from 12.3.23 to 12.4.52." Odd thing is, all of our workstations are already updated to 12.4.52 and Manifest.txt reflects this.

After you allow it to copy files, it completes, brings up the database select screen and when you enter credentials in, it goes back to "Files will now be copied"

I am running this as an administrator and with "Run as Admin". Any thoughts?

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Open Dental automagically copies those files to the directory which Open Dental was installed to with our installer. Have you copied and pasted the Open Dental folder from the Program Files directory (or wherever you first installed it to) into a different location?
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com